The communication engineering programme develops engineers who will work at the cutting edge of the communications industry, with emphasis on technologies for mobile and broadband communication. This programme enables students to build on a common engineering foundation in electronics, mathematics and computing. The specialist courses cover networking security, digital communications, signal processing, high frequency circuits, mobile devices, web technologies, wireless and satellite communications.
Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) Electronic (Communication) (4 Years)
Graduates will find career opportunities in a wide range of sectors, including communications, media & entertainment, aerospace, power, instrumentation & control, software engineering/IT & computing, consumer & industrial electronics/microelectronics, hardware manufacturing, public utilities, scientific, medical and educational institutions, amongst others.
The programme objectives describe the expected achievements of the Electrical and Electronics Engineering programme graduates in their career and professional life a few years after their graduation. The graduates of the Electrical and Electronics Engineering programme will:
- Graduates are competent in the practice of Electrical and Electronics Engineering.
- Graduates are engaged in lifelong learning and professional development.
- Graduates are committed to professionalism in engineering practices and contribute to the society.
The programme outcomes are statements that describe what students are expected to know and be able to perform or attain by the time of graduation in relation to the skills, knowledge and behaviour that students acquire through the Electrical and Electronics degree programme. All engineering programmes in the faculty have adopted the Outcome Based Education (OBE) approach in their teaching and learning methodology in accordance to the EAC accreditation requirements.
Students of the programme should have the ability to:
- Knowledge - Ability to acquire and apply knowledge of electronic engineering to the solution of complex engineering problems.
- Problem Analysis - Ability to perform complex electronic engineering problem analysis through identification, formulation, research and critical analysis through systematic approach.
- Design/Development of Solutions - Ability to utilise systems approach to evaluate performance and design solutions for complex problems in electronic engineering systems.
- Investigating - Acquire in‐depth technical competence to conduct investigation into complex problems using research based knowledge and research methods to obtain valid conclusions.
- Modern Tool Usage - Ability to create, select and apply modern tools, appropriate techniques and resources to complex electronic engineering activities, with an understanding of the limitations.
- Engineer and Society - Understand the social, cultural, global and environmental responsibilities of a professional Electronic engineer.
- Environment and Sustainability - Understand the needs and principles of sustainable development and the social/environmental impact of engineering solutions.
- Ethics - Understand the professional and ethical responsibilities of Electronic engineers and the commitment to them.
- Communication - Ability to communicate effectively on complex engineering activities in both oral and written means with people of technical and non-technical background.
- Individual and Team Work - Able to function effectively as an individual and in a group with the capacity to be a leader or manager.
- Life Long Learning - Recognise that Electronic engineering is a fast revolving field requiring the need for life-long learning and possessing/acquiring the capacity to do so.
- Project Management and Finance - Understand project management principles and issues that are required to deliver successful engineering projects in multidisciplinary environment.
- Engineering Mathematics
- Programming for Engineers
- Engineering Drawing & CADD
- Digital and Analogue Electronics
- Digital and Analogue Communication System Design
- Microprocessor Systems
- Communication Network
- Circuits Analysis
- Signal and Systems
- Discrete Time Signal Processing
- Data and Multimedia Network
- Applied Electromagnetics
- Microwave Engineering
- High Frequency Circuit Design
- Embedded Systems
- Microelectronics and Integrated Circuit Technology
- Multimedia Technology and Applications
- Fibre Optics
- Antenna Design
- Instrumentation and Measurement
- Wireless Communication and Standards
- Information Theory and Error Coding
- Mobile and Satelite Systems
- Engineering Management
- Project & Dissertation
- Industrial Training
- Capstone Project